Government Restrictions for Crossing the Border of the Czech Republic
All measures currently in place published by the Government. The state of emergency ended on May 17. Conditions for entry to the territory of the Czech Republic and quarantine measures are defined by the Ministry of Health.
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs has been assisting with returns home.
- From May 27, no negative PCR test will be required from citizens of Slovakia for short stays up to 48 hours in the Czech Republic.
- From May 26, it is possible to use all road and railway border crossings with Austria and Germany. Border checks will be random. The obligation to have a negative PCR test upon return and the ban on entry for tourists remain.
- On May 19, after negotiations of V4 countries + Germany, the Government announced that from June 15, it could be possible to travel/return from countries that will be identified as risk-free, even without the obligation to submit a negative PCR test result. The most likely countries to be put on the list are Austria, Slovakia, Germany and possibly Hungary; a list of additional countries has been prepared by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, based on the epidemiological situation/level of risk in individual countries.
- Protection of internal border remains in place until June 13 (ban on crossing borders in other ways than using listed border checkpoints).
- Updated rules for Czech citizens and foreigners legally residing in the territory of the Czech Republic are attached below. If their economic activity performance abroad does NOT exceed 72 hours, no supporting medical documents are required. All these persons are subject to the limitation of free movement within the Czech territory for 14 days after entering the Czech territory. If the economic activity performance abroad exceeds 72 hours: a) submission of a PCR testing results certificate at the entry (may be undergone on the Czech territory) + a limitation of free movement within the Czech territory for 14 days after entering the Czech territory applies.
- Cross-border workers need to provide a certificate stating they are tested negative for Covid-19 upon first entry (not older than 4 days) and then always after 30 days. For cross-border employees in health care, integrated rescue system, social services and critical infrastructure entities, the right to cross borders without quarantine upon return still applies - if their stay in the neighboring country does not exceed 14 days. Then, these workers are not obliged to submit a negative test.
- The same exception applies to international freight transport crews, diplomats, etc. See details in a document attached.
- From May 11, entry is allowed to foreigners (such as seasonal workers, health and social care workers) from third (non-EU) countries who will provide negative PCR test result. See details in a document attached.
- EU citizens may enter the country for business and study purposes. For economic activity with stay up to 72 hours (this includes e.g. business meeting, business trip or one-time execution of a contract, not applicable to cross-border commuters), EU citizens must submit medical PCR testing results certificate upon entry, otherwise the person will not be allowed to enter the territory + free movement limitation in the territory of the Czech Republic applies. See attached document for details.
- EU citizens entering the territory of the Czech Republic for the purpose of economic activity, studies at the university, for the period exceeding 72 hours, are obliged to submit a medical testing results certificate upon entry, otherwise the person will not be allowed to enter the territory. All these persons are subjected to a free movement limitation for period of 14 days from the day of entry of the Czech Republic. See attached document for details.
- Protection of internal borders (air, Germany, Austria) was extended until June 13.
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Receiving visa applications and stays from 11 May 2020. Highly qualified workers from Serbia and Mongolia can apply within Government programs, incl. family members. Key researchers/scientists from the third countries on the list can apply.
- On May 15, the Ministry of Health issued conditions for entry to the territory of the Czech Republic after the end of state of emergency (May 17), including new reopening categories of residence permits for foreigners from the third countries.
- Overview of travel arrangements of neighboring states (COVID-19). See also travel information about entering other countries.The Ministry of Foreign Affairs generally does not recommend traveling to other countries.
Foreigners employed in the Czech Republic
- After the end of the state of emergency, foreign nationals will not be sanctioned for staying in the Czech Republic without a valid residence permit for another 60 days. At this time, they do not even have to deal with the expired validity of the stay at the offices of the Ministry of the Interior or the Police of the Czech Republic. This means foreigners without valid visas will be able to stay in the Czech Republic until July 17. However, they are obliged to leave the Czech Republic during these 60 days!
- In order to ensure a smooth return of foreign nationals to the country of origin, the legality of their stay will be certified during border control by the special stamp in the travel document at the time of departure from the Czech Republic. The Czech Republic informed all states about this procedure.
- To facilitate smooth return this certificate of legality of stay in the form of the stamp in the travel document will be introduced from Monday, May 4, 2020. The stamp does not ensure entry into the territory of other states. The possibilities of transit are always determined by their own measures.
- The validity of this measure is limited in time and applies only to persons who were legally residing in the Czech Republic at the time of the declaration of the state of emergency! Foreign nationals who want to continue their legal stay in the Czech Republic and their long-term visa or long-term residence permit expires must apply for its extension - you can find more information here.
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs on the Stay of Foreign Nationals after the End of State of Emergency
- Ministry of Industry and Trade published FAQs on employment of foreigners.
Information by the Ministry of the Interior.
See also a summary on the Government official website.